Thursday, December 21, 2006

School to school salesmen

Sorry I have been neglecting my blog. I have been so super busy lately there has been no time to post. So I'll make this one short and snappy.

In Japan, students never change rooms for different subjects. Instead, they stay in their 'homeroom' all day and different teachers come to teach their subject. Therefore, there is a big teachers' room where all the teachers' desks are located. Well, they let advertisers and people in to sell things. For example, a baker has been in a few times with a variety of pastries and bread. Another time, there was a jewelry guy that came in and laid out jewelry across 3 desks.

This last guy I saw was brilliant. He brought in about 20 boxes of shoes and laid them out for display in the middle of the teacher's room. They were all women's shoes. I may not be smart, but I am smart enough to know if you wave a pair of new shoes under a woman's nose, she going to charge. Just like waving a red cape at a bull. This guy was just not playing by the rules. And lo and behold, the ladies started buying shoes. It was like he brought Christmas to the teacher's room.

We also get about 2 - 3 advertisements left on our desk a week. Here is a picture of the latest. I'm not quite sure what it says about teachers.

No comments: