This week is dedicated to mankind's great invention: Kyushoku, or School Lunch. Just as the U.S.'s school lunch tastes 'special', my city's school lunch doesn't disappoint. Each city has their own system for making school lunch. My city decided that the smartest way to do it would be to take all the junior high schools and elementary schools in the city and make all the food at one place (high schools don't get school lunch). That means this lunch center makes food for over 3000 people a day. Can you imagine trying to make food for that many people? Either can they. That is why our lunch is notoriously known as the worst lunch west of the big city. And I can safely say, it lives up to the hype.
Right off the bat, you can tell if it is a happy or sad lunch because it will either come with rice (happy!) or bread (sad). Also included with every meal is a box of 3.5% milk.

Today's lunch:
Rice with bits of seaweed mixed in
Fish covered in a light batter and fried
Soup made from barley, carrots, green onions, tofu, chikua (fish molded together into this round solid form. used in a lot of food here)
A piece of apple
A teacher made green tea for everybody
Rating: 8 / 10
Comment: Suprisingly good. It was even enjoyable.
4 comments:
Is 3.5% milk like drinking half and half? Like the new look of your blog. Glad you are writing more, too.
Not quite, but it is hard to finish the entire thing. After I finish drinking it, I usually have to go drink something else. 95% of the time, I just put it in the fridge and let somebody take it home.
3.5% would be rough on the stomach I imagine. No soy milk out there?
Ya, there's soy milk out here but they don't serve it in school lunch. I buy it for my cereal though.
Post a Comment