Sunday, September 24, 2006

Hang on to your butts

Saturday a bunch of English teachers headed into Tokushima city for a 'Disaster Prevention Tour'. The first part of the tour involved 2 earthquakes in a japanese kitchen. The first earthquake was a strong 5 on the Richter scale and the second was a recreation of the huge Kobe earthquake 10 years ago (7 on the Richter scale). It was actually a pretty good experience. It kind of felt like an amusement park ride. Regarding earthquakes, the good news is I only have 2 cupboards in my kitchen. One is filled with tupperware and the other with junk food. So my head will be safe in there.

The second part of the tour was our chance to use a fire extinguisher to put out a simulated fire on a big screen. I've always wanted to pull the pin and squeeze the handle on one of those. The third part we got to crawl through a few smoke filled rooms. The fourth was a simulation of 19 miles/hour wind. Damn, I didn't know being in a room with that much wind could be so fun. We opened our mouths and our cheeks blew up like a puffer fish. I need to get one of those fans.



No comments: