Sunday, September 24, 2006

Why I didn't go to art school

At Japanese schools, every 7th and 8th grader is a member of one club. They attend these clubs for 3 hours everyday and sometimes on weekends as well! The clubs range from Ping Pong to Baseball to Band. On friday I decided to visit art club. Soon after I arrived they insisted I participate with them in drawing a statue that was in the middle of the room. I kindly obliged and told them 'Gonbari mas' (try my best). After about an hour my 'drawing' was complete and I then knew why I went into computer science and not art. The students took it and put it on top of the chalk board for display. Perhaps an example of what not to do! If the statue would've been a stick figure, my drawing would've kicked ass.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

remember,eric, you were voted the most likely 6th grader to be a successful cartoonist. you picture looks very good (even though i am your mother). you just haven't practiced. do you like the name eric van gogh? then keep practicing.